Electric fences are convenient and effective for horse farms. There are some safety hazards with electric fences, however, so watch out for these:
1. Avoid hopping over fences, to avoid entanglement.
2. Electric fences that are run underground (as under a gated opening) can produce stray voltage. An earth rod is a good option.
3. Putting a powerful energizer on a fence that is not complete or set up as the instructions direct can send stray voltage where it does not belong. Take the time to set up your fence correctly and completely
4. High-impedance energizers can create a fire hazard. Low-impedance energizers send a pulse every second and the pulse remains for only a short time.
5. Watch out for vegetation on the lines, which can cause shorts.